2.23.2007

Corner of the House Friday

Here is an early morning shot of my dining room for Corner of the House Friday. As you will discover, I have very few curtains in my house. When I moved into my mountain home I decided that curtains would take away from the mountain views and so, eight years later, I still have no curtains. There are times when I contemplate sewing some curtains but most of the time I contemplate how I would rather knit than sew!


There is a story behind my elk chandelier. We had to wait almost two months before moving to our cabin home because the former owners wanted to enjoy their last summer in Colorado. I kept myself busy in the city buying "mountain" things whilst I waited. This elk lighting fixture was one thing I bought.

Having no place to put it, the fixture remained in the middle of my living room floor in the city. Occasionally, I would hold it up and admiringly turn on its lights. Apparently one day I "forgot" to unplug it and left it on the floor in its usual spot. Soonafter, my daughters and I began to notice a "burning" smell in our house. My husband was away on business and every night I would tell him that I could not locate the smell but KNEW something was not right in our house. Several days passed before I finally determined the odor came from the living room and in horror realized it was coming from my elk lighting fixture. When I picked the lamp up I discovered the halogen bulb had burned a hole through my carpet. Not only had it burned through the carpet, it had burned all the way through the floorboard underneath the carpet!

The carpet was new. The house was sold. We hired a very, very clever carpet guy who was able to plug the hole in the floor and patch the perfect round circle of burnt carpet.