6.11.2008

Sunrise Over Sardinia

Sunrise at 6:32 a.m. over the second biggest island in the Mediterranean, Sardinia. And like its larger cousin, Sicily, Sardinia has seen an amazing variety of cultural interchange from the earliest times.




Cagliari is the capital of Sardinia and we will be spending nine hours here. The site of this lovely port city is well placed to give shelter from storms. It's hard to say who actually made the first colony here, since both Minoans and Phoenicians had sailed these waters in the 7th century B.C., and probably earlier. It boggles my mind to imagine how many ships have sailed into this beautiful port!


I have my Italian yarn in hand and have already knit three inches of ribbed cuff as we wait to disembark. Have I mentioned that socks WERE the perfect thing to take on this cruise? They are nice and compact. We always had to wait for the pre-arrival checks to be completed in each port and then the local pilot to board the ship so there were plenty of moments here and there to knit.


We watched the ship approach port from our balcony and then on one of the outside decks as we ate breakfast. Then, after the Emerald Princess was docked, Don and I went down to the Piazza and waited to go ashore. Don had his Mickey Mouse hat and I have my yarn. We are ready to go.....................and I will take you along with me in the next post........