7.19.2008

Red, Ripe Strawberries

One of the most enjoyable aspects of summer for me is the abundance of fruit. I especially love red, ripe strawberries! Unfortunately, berries are not plentiful in my state so I am resigned to buy mine in the grocery store. Where do you purchase yours? Do you go to the farmer's market or are you fortunate enough to be able to grow your own strawberries? Lucky you!


When I saw the photograph below it reminded me of a book that I used to read my girls when they were young called, The Little Mouse, The Red Ripe Strawberry, and the Big Hungry Bear. Ohhh, how that bear loved red, ripe strawberries! The big, hungry bear could smell a red, ripe strawberry a mile away......... In this story the mouse cuts the strawberry in two and shared half with the bear.
How do you like to feast on your strawberries? My father-in-law likes his over crumbled up pie crust. I grew up eating mine on little sponge shortcakes. My husband likes his over ice cream or angel food cake. I, on the other hand, if I'm not popping them in my mouth in their natural state enjoy them most spooned over pound cake and topped with whipped cream.

A dear friend gave me the following pound cake recipe years ago and I would like to share it with you.
Lizbet's Cream Cheese Pound Cake


3 sticks softened butter

8 oz cream cheese, softened

3 cups sugar

3 cups flour

6 eggs

1/2 tsp. vanilla


Cream butter, sugar, cream cheese and vanilla. Add flour and eggs alternately. Spoon into a floured bundt pan.


Bake at 300 degrees for 1-1/2 hours.