8.20.2005

First Cable and Rib Sock Completed


I finished my first Cable and Rib Sock today and it is by far my favorite sock. The yarn I used was Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Huckleberry. The needle size was 2.5mm. I used my Addi Turbo circulars for the leg and the foot. I switched to Crystal Palace size 2-1/2 for the gusset decreases because I haven't quite figured out how to do comfortably with circulars.

There were a couple unusual, or I should say 'new' things for me with this sock. The cast on was with double threads. The heel was a short-row heel which, after one try, I frogged for my traditional French heel. The heel number was 31, so I k2tog to get the st down to 30 and then knit 17 in to start the heel turn. The toe was strange and I am not sure I will use it again other than for these socks. Instead of doing the dec on the sides of the toes, they were interspersed around the toe followed by several rows of plain knit. The toe didn't look as smooth as I prefer. I ended with 6sts that I drew the yarn through. I prefer the Kitchener stitch.

All in all, it is lovely and fits nicely. I really love this Bearfoot yarn..so soft. And the colors are so mountain-y.....just like my home here in the Rockies. This afternoon was cold and drizzly. When I finished the sock I looked outside at Pikes Peak and it was covered with snow. And so Fall begins here in the Rockies.

Off to pick up my house before casting on for the second sock.