1.28.2007

UFO Update

Last night I watched Close Encounters of the Third Kind with my nephew who is under the impression that "old" movies are not very good. I'm trying to dispel that fallacy! He enjoyed the movie as did I. I remember seeing it the FIRST time when I was in college. I believe it was popular around the time that ET and the first STAR WARS came out. Am I really that old? To me it seems like only yesterday.


In other UFO news....I am highly motivated to get some UFO's finished during the Knit From Your Stash 2007 Challenge. The two I have worked on this week are the Irish Hiking Scarf (started two years ago) and a pair of basic ribbed socks from the Vintage Socks Book. I started the socks a couple years ago and only made one sock. Fortunately, I had written the specs in the book which was a reminder to me that I need to keep notes on everything I knit!

The scarf is still being worked on. I thought I would give you a peek, not because it is breathtaking but because I wanted to show you these fun stitch markers I ordered from Knitpicks. Aren't they cute? They are very functional. I've used stitch markers for marking the beginning of a join but never for the beginning of a cable. I think I need to make some for my neglected FLAK.

Isn't it a joy to knit with fun colors? These Koigu socks were a joy to knit as I felt myself just melting into the scrumptious colors. The pattern is OAK RIBBED SOCKS from Vintage Socks by Nancy Bush. I modified the heel to a standard square heel since I am not overly fond of French heels. I like the way the round toe was knit in this pattern. I used 2.5mm needles and could probably have gone with a 2.25mm. All in all I am pleased with the end product for afterall, it is always nice to have a new pair of socks!