4.09.2008

PI for MOSS?

There are always so many things to tackle before going on vacation, aren't there? One week from today I will be halfway across the Atlantic Ocean. I have most of my clothes selected and am still pondering what knitting to bring.

The last time I posted I told all of you that I was going to be testing Elizabeth Zimmerman's proclamation that the Pi Shawl was an ideal project to take whilst traveling. Several of you encouraged me to start it before I left which I have done. I started with double point needles, graduated to 16" circular needles and have now increased to a 24" circular (288 sts). I have one more increase which will take me to 576 sts.
I have some reservations about taking the Pi Shawl along on the cruise. The first concern is the ....um......."sheepy" smell of the wool. Several have commented about it on Ravelry but not being sheep savvy, I had no idea until now what sheep actually smell like! I'm not sure I want my packed clothes to end up smelling like sheep.

My second concern is about spit splicing. One must use a very light touch with this Unspun Icelandic wool. I'm not opposed to spit splicing - and, believe me, there is quite a bit of spit splicing being done with this wool. It's just that I'm not sure I want to be doing so much spit splicing in public :-)

Lastly, I already have a significant cocoon knit and I have not yet finished the first wheel of wool. I'm a bit concerned that this shawl is going to be of monstrous proportions at the end of my fourth wheel! Not sure I want to be lugging around a monstrous cocoon around the Mediterranean.

So.......what to bring? I pulled the Vickie Cardigan out of her plastic bin last night to knit a few rows and found myself in love with her all over again.

Vickie is on my list to work on during the current "Earth" stretch of Project Spectrum. The "Moss" colorway fits the color requirements and moss is a rather earthy plant, don't you think? The color is difficult to capture but I think this photograph does a pretty accurate job of displaying the browns and greens intertwining.


The Black Water Abbey pattern is pretty straightforward and easy. The heathery tweed of the yarn does not lend to 'popping' those cables as much as I would like. But nevertheless, I am satisfied with the overall effect.
I'm actually thinking of packing less clothes so that Vickie can join me on the cruise. I will most definitely be taking along socks to work on.