1.02.2009

Eight Maids a-Milking

On the eighth day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me -
Eight maids a-milking,
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree.


And what did I do? I finished a second UFO, the Mystery Socks that Kirsten Kapur (Through the Loops) designed for Lolly's Socktoberfest IV. Througout October a new clue was posted weekly and I was able to keep up all the way through. I even worked on the second sock each week. But, when it looked like the pattern was not showing up well in a dark purple yarn I lost enthusiasm and set them aside.


I really didn't want to frog such a lovely pattern, and even more so after knitting my favorite heel - the Eye of Partridge, isn't it pretty? So, I picked them up for the Twelve Days of Christmas UFO challenge. As I approached the toe on the second sock I had my own little surprise......I ran out of yarn! Fortunately, I had one skein of multi-colored Koigu with a little purple in it and saw that it would complement the solid purple Koigu of the sock.

Pattern: TTL Mystery Sock by Kristen Kapur

Yarn: 2 skeins purple Koigu (ran short) + multi-colored Koigu for toe

Needles: 2.5mm metal Knitpicks