1.01.2009

Seven Swans a-Swimming

On the seventh day of Christmas,
my true love sent to me
Seven swans a-swimming,
Six geese a-laying,
Five golden rings,
Four calling birds,
Three French hens,
Two turtle doves,
And a partridge in a pear tree.
And me? A UFO was finished during the Twelve Days of Christmas!

The Mad Color Weave socks are quite possibly my all-time favorite socks. The Lorna Laces Shepherd Sport, being a thicker yarn than fingering weight, enabled these socks to knit up quickly. They are soft and squishy, too!

I utilized a new knitting technique. I learned how to do the eight-row weave pattern without using a cable needle. The weave pattern seemed to eliminate the 'pooling' issue that Lorna Lace yarns so often have. The heel was different from any I've ever knit before. It was a stockinette heel with a cable down either side. If I were to make any modifications to the pattern, I would probably replace the twisted cable going down either side of the center weave pattern with a baby cable as Pat did. Other that that, the patter is perfect!


Pattern: Mad Color Weave by Tina Lorin
Yarn: 1.5 skeins Lorna Laces Shepherd Sport in the Huron colorway
Needles: 2.75mm Lantern Moon dpns
Size: 58 stitches