11.11.2005

Rocks in the Neighborhood


One of my favorite things to do is to take long prayer walks through my neighborhood. My route takes anywhere from 70 minutes to 90 minutes. I load my backpack with layered clothing, Kleenixs, cassette player and small leather prayer book and head down to the mail box at the bottom of the neighborhood. I start by listening to Dr. Johnson do an exposition of whatever passage in Scripture I am studying that week. Don and I sat under his teaching for years at Believer's Chapel in Dallas. We still order tapes from The Chapel and still continue to grow from Dr. J's teaching..even though he is now with the Lord.

After the 45 minute lecture is over I pull out the prayer book. By then I am usually at the mail box and it is a good time to re-distribute layers of clothes and switch out the cassette player.

I notice these huge rocks everytime I walk and last week verses kept flooding into my mind about how the Lord is our rock. It dawned on me that it would take a great deal of human effort and machinery to move these...if they could even be moved. And so, we should understand that we can cling to the Lord in the midst of trials and temptations because He is unmoving in the storm and He is our security. He never changes. Here are a couple of those "rock" verses:

MY SOUL SILENTLY WAITS FOR GOD ALONE;
MY SALVATION COMES FROM HIM.
HE ALONE IS MY ROCK AND MY SALVATION;
HE IS MY STRONGHOLD; I WILL NEVER BE SHAKEN.
Psalm 106:48

THE LORD IS MY ROCK AND MY FORTRESS AND MY DELIVERER,
MY GOD, MY ROCK, IN WHOM I TAKE REFUGE;
MY SHIELD AND THE HORN OF MY SALVATION, MY STRONGHOLD
Psalm 18:2

And lastly, here is a picture of the BIGGEST rock in my neighborhood: